Welcome to Our Community Council
Thank you for visiting the Official Website of Tremeirchion, Cwm and Waen including the villages of Tremeirchion, Cwm and Rhuallt.
You can find out more about Tremeirchion, Cwm, Waen and Rhuallt by clicking on the links below
The Village of Tremeirchion
Tremeirchion (originally known as ‘Din Meirchion’ the fortress of Meirchion the chieftain) is a small residential community in Denbighshire and partially in the Clwydian Range and Dee Valley Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Tremeirchion is located on the B5429 road, 5.4 miles (8.7km) to the north east of Denbigh and 4.6 miles (7.4 km) to the east of St Asaph.
During the nineteenth century, Gerard Manley Hopkins, the poet, studied at St.Beuno’s College now St.Beuno’s Jesuit Spirituality Centre.
The caves at Ffynnon Beuno were first excavated in the nineteenth century and contained Ice Age flint tools and the bones of woolly rhino, mammoth and hyena.
The Village of Cwm
Cwm is a village in Denbighshire, nestling below the hill, Mynydd y Cwm.
Cwm is located 4.0 miles (6.5km) miles south of Prestatyn and 5.6miles (9km) east of St.Asaph.
The church in Cwm is dedicated to two 6th century saints, St Mael and St Sulien. An unusual dedication to two 6th century Celtic saints and companions of the Breton St Cadfan, a missionary to west Wales.
2,500 years ago, Iron Age settlers built a hillfort on Moel Hiraddug, just north of Cwm. The mountain has been mined and quarried for minerals including iron ore and limestone, the latter crushed and burned in kilns to make lime.
The Community of Waen
Waen is a sparsely populated community in Denbighshire. It includes the hamlet of Waen Goleugoed. The former civil parish was created in 1896 from the Flintshire portion of St Asaph, and lies on the eastern bank of the River Clwyd, 2.7 miles (4.3 km) east of St Asaph, 15.4 miles (24.8 km) north west of Mold, 5.1 miles (8.2 km) north of Denbigh and 11.9 miles (19.2 km) north of Ruthin.
At the 2001 census the community had a population of 245, falling slightly to 241 at the 2011 census. The North Wales Expressway (A55) crosses the community from east to west, on its route from Chester to Bangor. The farmhouse at Bodeugan, in the north of the community, dates from the 17th century, and is Grade II* listed.
The Flintshire county archives at Hawarden contain a letter dated Christmas 1812, in which the then tenant, Robert Roberts, complained that the house was bewitched, recounting a series of poltergeist activity in which stones, coals, dung and water were thrown at the inhabitants, windows were broken and milk churns smashed.
On Christmas Eve, the spirit was claimed to have thrown the servants out of their beds. Pont Dafydd, built in 1630 across the River Clwyd, but now standing in a field since the river was diverted, is an ancient monument and is Grade II listed.
The Village of Rhuallt
Rhuallt is a village in Denbighshire, and is partially in the Clwydian Range and Dee Valley Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
The village is situated approximately 5 miles (8.0 km) south of Prestatyn and 2 miles (3.2 km) east of St Asaph on the B5429 road, adjacent to the A55, and has a static and touring caravan park.
The gap in the Clwydian ridge at Rhuallt has long been the natural route for travelling east from Chester towards Holyhead.
There are traces of an original Roman road, superseded by packhorses routes, drovers livestock routes, stagecoach routes, to modern day motor vehicles on the A55.
It is also the European route E22 – from Holyhead to Ishim, Russia.
The Offa’s Dyke Path national trail passes through the village, on its mostly northerly leg of the 177 miles (283 km) path from Chepstow to Prestatyn.
The post office was described in the BBC Domesday Project of 1986.